Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), also known as estragon, is a species of perennial herb in the sunflower family. It is widespread in the wild across much of Eurasia and North America, and is cultivated for culinary and medicinal purposes.
One subspecies, Artemisia dracunculus var. sativa, is cultivated for use of the leaves as an aromatic culinary herb. In some other subspecies, the characteristic aroma is largely absent. The species is polymorphic. Informal names for distinguishing the variations include “French tarragon” (best for culinary use), “Russian tarragon,” and “wild tarragon” (covers various states).
Tarragon grows to 120–150 cm (47–59 in) tall, with slender branched stems. The leaves are lanceolate, 2–8 cm (0.79–3.15 in) long and 2–10 mm broad, glossy green, with an entire margin. The flowers are produced in small capitulae 2–4 mm diameter, each capitulum containing up to 40 yellow or greenish-yellow florets. French tarragon, however, seldom produces any flowers (or seeds). Some tarragon plants produce seeds that are generally only sterile. Others produce viable seeds. Tarragon has rhizomatous roots that it uses to spread and readily reproduce.
Other benefits and effects of Tarragon:
- First and foremost, tarragon stimulates the digestive system and also enhances appetite
- Tarragon being a rich source of Vitamin C helps boost the immune system of the body
- Another health benefit of tarragon is its ability to cure oral problems like loosening of teeth, cavities and fragility of gums
- Tarragon may also be deployed to cure insomnia
- Tarragon also helps remove toxins from the body, detoxifying the body
- Being a detoxifying agent, tarragon helps reduce the pace of aging
- Tarragon is an anti-rheumatic substance which helps prevent and cure rheumatic arthritis by removing toxins from the body and promoting blood circulation in the body, including lymph.
consult your physician before attempting to heal a serious condition, also if you are on medication such as antidepressants
Buy Smokable Herbs
Product Containing Tarragon
Get To Know The Herbs
Blue Lotus Flower: Purple Tranquility in an Herbal Smoke
Saint Johns Wort
Red Raspberry Leaf